Friday, November 9, 2007

David's unemployment experience

I've been unemployed for one week now. Friday, Nov 2 was my last day at KPFF Special Projects Division. Working there has been a great experience. I started there in March 2006 as an intern.

I have learned a lot working there, not just about engineering but about:
  • working
  • workplace dynamics
  • interacting with coworkers
  • deadlines
  • slow days
  • water cooler conversations
  • commuting (by bike)
  • managers (good ones only, luckily)
  • the 2:30 pm droopy eyes
  • teamwork
  • working for government agencies (I know you have this all designed already, but lets try this...)
  • Happy hour after work
  • Rubber band attacks
  • Reply-all emails (fortunately nothing disastrous)
  • Sneaking up and scaring coworkers
I can honestly say that I have really enjoyed all of my coworkers, which feels great to say. I have also enjoyed engineering. It is challenging, interesting, and sometimes (don't tell anyone else) fun. I'm really glad that I chose civil engineering for my degree. I don't know if it is something that I will always do, but i feel like could be a great springboard into anything else I would like to do in the future.

But for now, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to enjoy my time while unemployed!!!

No comments: